Miscellaneous Reviews & Opinions Tips and Guide UPDATEs

Getting A Web Design – The Options

In 2016 there are more options than ever when it comes to getting a website online. In the past, you used to have to either do it yourself (which used to be difficult) or you had to open your wallet and hire a professional – usually for a relatively large amount of money. Thankfully things have changed in just a short space of time and there are now more options than ever when it comes to creating a website and getting it online. In this article we’re going to look at some of the options available to you when it comes to designing and getting your website online. This is not by any means a complete guide but it does cover the major options available in web design today.

learning basic web design is something that could be mastered in a few weeks

Free / Premium Templates and Themes

As time goes on, more and more people are creating HTML5 templates and blog/CMS themes such as those for WordPress and Joomla. The fact is, template design for multiple sales is big business and a talented web design can earn more by creating a design and putting it on the likes of ThemeForest than they could doing the same design as a bespoke job for a talent. But of course with so many people doing it, it also can become a bit hit and miss and you could spend months working on a template or theme only to find nobody buys it! Templates are fantastic if you have the ability to knock a site together as you can pick up a decent one for less than $40 or in some cases for free! But of course the design will not be unique to you and if you don’t know what you’re doing even using a high end premium template can end up looking poor once you put your information in it. With web design it’s important the design is made to fit the information it is offering not vice versa.

Hire a Designer

This might seem like an obvious one but believe it or not it’s becoming less and less of a popular approach. To be blunt, there are so many cheap or free templates out there these days that look a million times better than anything 95% of the “web designers” out there could be truth. The other 5% tend to be stacked up with jobs from bluechip companies with $10,000+ budgets so hiring a designer who can actually do a better look and feel than an off the shelf template might not actually be feasible. If you want to hire a designer you’re going to have to look at a lot of portfolios and get a lot of quotes until you find someone who is both feasible and can actually do a better job than the free template sites.

Teach Yourself

This might seem like a daunting option for most people but in reality, learning basic web design is something that could be mastered in a few weeks. Especially if you’re combining “learning” with the editing of an off the shelf premium template. The best way to learn anything is trial and error so if this is something you’re interested in get an off the shelf template with lots of elements already written/coded and have a play around. You’ll no doubt surprise yourself at how easy it is to add images/text and whatever else to a design with the end result ending up probably much better than it would after being lost in dialogue between you and a third party designer who is just out to make money.

Stick to Facebook!

The other option is, don’t bother with a website at all. If you’re just looking to post news/updates about your business, share photos and have a way for people to get in touch with you for whatever reason then perhaps a Facebook page is going to be good enough for you? You can setup facebook.com/yourbrand in a matter of minutes and begin posting information and photos almost immediately. You also have the added ability to allow people to get in touch with you and comment on the very things you’re sharing. Of course it’s not for everyone and maybe will prefer the flexibility that comes with having their own custom design but for those just wanting a cheap solution to get their name/brand/info out there onto the Internet it can be a good first step!

Leave a Comment

You may also like