The recent rumors of the Apple iPad Pro 2020 caused a sensation but it was probably the Magic Keyboard with Trackpad that captured the scene. It is no coincidence that the commercials on the product are largely focused precisely on the use of computers.
The new iPad Pro stands out only from its back, where there is a double chamber with a square protrusion similar to that of the iPhone 11. Inside the changes there are, starting with the SoC A12Z Bionic, a new range of processors that Apple incorporates an 8-core graphics processor, which brings with it a more powerful Octa-core GPU compared to the A12X.
6GB of RAM
The first feature does not need clarification and is clearly very welcome to make the user experience more fluid, in multitasking as in more complex operations. Note that in the 1TB version of the iPad Pro 2018 the 6GB were already present, while all the other models had 4GB.
Ultra-wideband U1 chip
The ultra-wideband chip was first introduced with the iPhone 11, but at the moment its use in the field is very small and this is probably why Apple has not mentioned it. Its effects are rarely noticed, just with AirDrop an indication of the direction in which another device equipped with Apple U1 should appear. The problem is that the real use of this device, capable of relating to others like it in space, will be seen when there are many around. So, we will have to get used to seeing it appear passively in the product data sheets so that when the first concrete applications arrive these will already be operational with the devices that we have in our hands for years.
IPad Pro 2020 camera
The new Apple iPad Pro 2020, integrates a rear module consisting of two cameras: 10 mpx ultra wide angle and 12 mpx wide angle , with which we can record spectacular videos and photos. The set of two cameras of the iPad Pro allows us to take photos and record videos in 4K quality. The front camera of the iPad Pro does not offer us any notable news compared to the previous model, since it is also compatible with Face ID, Apple’s facial recognition system.
Augmented reality on iPad Pro 2020
In the same module where the cameras are located, there is also a sensor in LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) a sensor that allows determining the distance by measuring the time it takes for a light beam to reach an object and reflect it back to the sensor. This sensor works hand in hand with cameras, motion sensors and the operating system to measure depth, making the iPad Pro an ideal device for augmented reality.
The Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro with trackpad should also be compatible with the 2018 iPad Pro. The old Smart Keyboard Folio cannot be used on the new iPad Pro 2020, which requires the second generation. Instead, the 2nd generation Apple Pencil remains the same.
What else changes
Considering also these two additions, the iPad Pro 2020 differs from the previous model in the following characteristics:
- SoC A12Z (instead of the A12X)
- Base model capacity 128GB (instead of 64GB)
- 6GB of RAM for all models
- Ultra-wide 10MP camera (previously absent)
- LiDAR scanner for augmented reality
- Ultra-wideband U1 chip
- Wi-Fi 6
Prices of iPad Pro 2020
The starting prices of the Apple iPad Pro 2020 are the same as the previous generation, the only thing that changes is the storage space, which this time starts from 128 GB instead of 64 GB from the previous generation.
- 11-inch iPad Pro WiFi 128 GB of storage: 879 euros.
- 11-inch iPad Pro WiFi 256 GB of storage: 989 euros.
- 11-inch iPad Pro WiFi 512 GB of storage: 1,209 euros.
- 11-inch iPad Pro WiFi 1 TB storage: 1,429 euros.
- iPad Pro 11-inch WiFi + LTE 128 GB of storage: 1,049 euros.
- iPad Pro 11-inch WiFi + LTE 256 GB of storage: 1,159 euros.
- iPad Pro 11-inch WiFi + LTE 512 GB of storage: 1,379 euros.
- 11-inch iPad Pro WiFi + LTE 1TB of storage: 1,599 euros.
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi 128 GB of storage: 1,099 euros.
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi 256 GB of storage: 1,209 euros.
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro WiFi 512 GB of storage: 1,429 euros.
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro WiFi 1 TB of storage: 1,649 euros.
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi + LTE 128 GB of storage: 1,269 euros.
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi + LTE 256 GB of storage: 1,379 euros.
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi + LTE 512 GB of storage: 1,599 euros.
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi + LTE 1TB of storage: 1,819 euros.