Following the path of the guys from MakerBot and relatively affordable 3D printers, Matterform people have been encouraged to register their project on IndieGoGo, seeking funding. It is Photon 3D, a 3D scanner that wants to have a good price.
Compare with: Makerbot Digitizer Scan Your Items for 3D Printing
Matterform has clearly not want to make a scanner for demanding seeking professional skills, in fact, the price speaks for itself (at least for those who support the project) is $ 349.
When closed it occupies the size of a home printer, when opened you found a spinning circular surface to facilitate scanning of objects. Obviously the camera and two lasers that are responsible for this are at the top you deploy.
Matterform says her Photon 3D objects scanned in about three minutes, with a maximum size of 190mm x 190mm x 250mm (7.5″ diamter x 9.75″ height), and yet folds up into a compact size. We will know better in a video presentation that has been made for IndieGoGo:
They are also developing software for Windows and Mac to take advantage of it (works with .STL .OBJ and .PLY formats), with the goal of creating a very simple system, which does not have to be an engineer to perform scans, and get decent 3D modeling.
Matterform Photon 3D Scanner Full Features at a glance:
- Can scan in High resolution with a high definition camera and dual lasers technology.
- Easy folding design for better storage or transport
- Quick scans facility with Multiple quality setting options.
- Scan objects up to 190mm x 190mm x 250mm (7.5″ diamter x 9.75″ height)
- Dual stepper motors for full software control over the scan bed and the z-axis.
- Support PC or Mac with Full version of software.
- .STL, .OBJ, and point cloud .PLY formats